1950's Luis Estévez black floral dress
vintage 1950's dress ...extraordinary designer Luis Estévez' vibrant floral over black cotton sateen reverse halter choker neck dress with full circle skirt
The fabric on this dress alone will make you gasp in delight at first sight... it is stunning with its almost 3D like floral floating over a deep black polished cotton; it almost looks to be screened on because its so rich with superrealism like details and colors. Gorgeous.
Luis Estévez never disappoints. A Cuban born designer having originally studied architecture, he switched to fashion after spending a summer job as a window dresser for Lord & Taylor department store in New York. After studying at the Traphagen School of Fashion in New York he left for Paris and found work at the House of Jean Patou; seriously, how lucky is that? I'm sure it was more skill and talent than luck, but still...
By 1955, Estévez was designing under his own name and by 1956, he was the youngest designer honored with the Coty American Fashion Critics award and his collections were selling well into the higher brackets of the mass market.
After moving to California, he quickly became well established in Hollywood Society and developed a clientéle that included Lana Turner, Rosalind Russell, and Nancy Reagan. Later, actress Eva Gabor commissioned his talents as a glamorous eveningwear designer for her own label.
The early influence of Parisian Couture inspired his creative work through his entire career, as did his wife who who "liked to dress in sexy but tasteful clothes with sharp and uncluttered silhouettes" which is certainly present in our offering today...
click here for more information on Luis Estévez
- "sexy but tasteful... with [a] sharp uncluttered silhouette"
- her bodice is structured with four stays at the sides and reinforced with pelon where the straps attach enabling the "sharp silhouette" that was so distinctive to this designer
- her full circle skirt is lined in black pelon to give her form a smooth, almost floating effect with movement
- her neck strap is designed in a circular shape that slips over your head in a sort of reverse halter, or choker style
- her bodice is lined with a rich black grosgrain fabric
- she has a very flattering slightly dropped waist with princess corset-like seams to keep everything neat and tidy
- she closes at the back with a metal zipper
Measurements given are ''actual'' measurements of the item taken from the outside of the garment. Please consider your individual comfort and compare measurements accordingly. For more information regarding our sizing, or measurement process please review our
bust-32-33", waist-25", length from waist to hem- approximately 28", overall length- approximately 42-43"
Excellent. appears to have been hardly worn.
We are happy to provide a layaway service to our customers. If interested, please review our LAYAWAY TERMS & INSTRUCTIONS .
Please review our SALES & RETURN POLICIES prior to purchase.We’re here to help and any questions can be directed to us via the email link provided on every page. We will do our best to get back to you within 24 hours.