1940's Gilbert Adrian Original Black Waterfall Dress
It's getting harder, and harder to find Adrian Adolph Greenberg aka Gilbert ADRIAN dresses outside of a museum collection because his work was so influential to designs of the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's.
Adrian was an American costume designer who designed costumes for over 250 films including The Wizard of Oz which of course included Judy Garland's "ruby slippers." He was also responsible for Joan Crawford's signature outfits with large shoulder pads, which went on to become an important fashion trend. Although he left MGM in 1941 to set up his own fashion house, he still continued to work closely with Hollywood and designed for the biggest female stars of the day which included the aforementioned, as well as Greta Garbo, Norma Shearer, Jeanette MacDonald, Jean Harlow, and Katharine Hepburn.
One of the most prolific designers of the time, his work is still extensively studied and continues to inspire designers of our time.
Adrian famously insisted on the best materials and workmanship in the creation of his designs which is evident in the dress we're offering here.
- late 1930's - early 1940's curve skimming silhouette
- an exquisite gossamered black chantilly lace is juxtaposed with a deep black crepe
- brilliant layers with waterfall swags appear to be cascading down her form starting at her bust
- her waist layer is finished to perfection with hidden snaps, and hooks to rejoin
- dolman style sleeves with scalloped lace details that run across her chest and expertly run down her arms
- prong-set rhinestones trim her neckline
- she closes at the back with lace-covered buttons and loops, as well as a replaced zipper
Measurements given are ''actual'' measurements of the item taken from the outside of the garment. Please consider your individual comfort and compare measurements accordingly. For more information regarding our sizing, or measurement process please review our
bust-36", waist-27-28", hips-37", shoulders-15", length-48"
We’re here to help and any questions can be directed to us via the email link provided on every page. We will do our best to get back to you within 24 hours.